Benefits for Members of the Public
If you want to get exercise advice, or are participating in an exercise class, ensuring you are using the services of a REPS Ireland Registered Exercise Professional has many benefits.
- Most importantly, REPS Ireland is the independent verification that the exercise professional is suitable to give advice to or to instruct in a gym or a group exercise/aerobics class depending on his/her qualification
- Like most professional registration bodies, individuals registered with REPS Ireland agree to follow the industry Code of Ethical Practice
- REPS Ireland also operates a complaints system for any person that wishes to complain about a registered trainer or instructor. Only persons who are deemed suitable by REPS Ireland are able to continue to annually re-register, giving you confidence when dealing with a REPS Ireland registered trainer or instructor. Details of how to complain about anyone in the fitness/exercise industry from REPS Ireland
- Fitness Instructors and Personal Trainers (PTs) have the option to take out public liability and professional indemnity insurance with registration (offering peace of mind and protection for the trainer, their clients, and any facility they may use)
- REPS Ireland will be developing in the future an online search engine for instructors as well as a profile/picture for each trainer, and an easy email link for members of the public wishing to enquire about using a Instructor/Personal Trainer services
- Information on key industry happenings and events through regular communications
- Access to ongoing education courses run by various organisations
Benefits of Registering as an Exercise Professional
Registration is the industry standard employers expect, and provides many additional benefits
REPS Ireland registration is the industry standard, and all quality exercise facilities require any person based at their facility to be registered with REPS Ireland at the appropriate level (for more about registration levels see here). In effect REPS Ireland registration is your annual "licence to work" in the exercise industry.
Registration with REPS Ireland provides instant recognition both in Ireland and in over 30 other countries (through ICREPS)
REPS Ireland occupations and the status of registration awarded to members are based on standards for:
|EQF level 3|
Approved Training Providers and Qualifications
If you hold an accredited qualification from one of the verified Training Providers that was gained in the year of accreditation or two years prior, you will be eligible for full registration of REPS Ireland. Otherwise you may apply for Provisional registration which is valid for 12 months and you must fulfil the conditions required for full registration within this timescale. This can be done online on www.repsireland.ie. In order to achieve full registration there are 2 options:
1) Undertake a conversion course with an approved REPS Ireland training provider, as listed on www.repsireland.ie
2) Your training provider needs to achieve REPS Ireland verification for the qualification(s) that you currently hold. This will enable you to upgrade to full registration if your qualification has been gained within the 3 years prior to the training provider being verified.
Fora list of recognised training providers and qualifications click here
- To maintain registration an individual must continually up-skill to keep up to date with the latest trends and developments in exercise delivery. This re-registration process occurs annually. To protect the public, all registered exercise professionals are bound by a code of ethical practice, that covers professional standards and conduct of the individuals. REPS Ireland also has a complaints process to deal with any breaches of the code.
All REPS Ireland Registered Exercise Professionals are issued with a membership card with an embedded photo to enable easy identification, as well as being able to be verified anytime by contacting REPS Ireland